I am looking to refer or transition my child to the Commitee on Preschool Education (CPSE) Program. What should I do?

If your child is already receiving  Early Intervention Program (EIP) services as an infant or toddler up to age three, and may still need special education services, your EIP service coordinator will assist you with transition planning and making a referral to the CPSE.

If your preschool-age child (3-5 years old) is not currently receiving  early intervention services, but may have some delays or lags in development, such as difficulty in talking, moving around, thinking, or learning, or is facing physical or behavioral challenges, you, or professionals who know your child, may make a referral to the chairperson of your school district’s CPSE, who will assist you in completing the referral process. 

A referral is a written request  asking the school district that your child be tested to determine if he or she needs special education services. This written statement should be addressed to the chairperson of your school district’s CPSE.  When your child is referred to the CPSE, you will be given a list of agencies approved by the State Education Department (SED) to perform CPSE evaluations and you will be asked to select one. The next step is to sign a consent form for your child to be evaluated at no cost to your family. AAK is one of the agencies approved by SED to provide multidisciplinary evaluations for a child referred to the CPSE. Our AAK Evaluation Team offers convenient and flexible appointments for evaluations at children’s preschools, daycare, homes or at one of our Therapy Center Locations. Please contact us for information about our preschool services or more information 

Still need help? Contact Us Contact Us